So what can we do about this looming front door and bottleneck of a hallway. How can we make this a little easier? These are some things that have been or are helping me get out.
- Have a plan: in a comfortable location, make a plan beforehand on where you are going to go and when, what you will wear, make sure you pee, drink and have a lip balm. Then just go through the bottleneck and front door at speed (trying) not to think about it.
- Know what you are going to wear and have it accessible.
- If you have a smartphone, make the walk more fun with apps that measure your distance and time, like runkeeper, or make it into a game with zombies run!. Play upbeat positive music or listen to an audiobook.
- Make the walk more fun in other ways, like with walking sticks for nordic walking, or measuring how fast you can do a certain distance and see if you improve over time.
- Walk a small distance to begin with. When that feels comfortable, increase it just a little, seriously, very little, like 20m. And when that is comfortable increase it a bit more and so on.
- Are there any animals anywhere in your surroundings? Make a point of going by their pasture or garden to look or say hello.
- Or there might be something else you especially enjoy that you can make a point to pass, for me it is water.
- Have nice walking clothes and good shoes, stay within your budget so you don’t feel pressured to use them or anxiety that you are not.
- Walk with a friend and have a nice conversation on the way, maybe you can schedule a weekly walk together.
- Get a dog. Ok this one might be a little drastic. I for one is allergic, and there is a bit more to owning a dog than just having a walking buddy. But maybe you have a neighbour with a dog that wouldn’t mind you “borrowing” the dog for a walk now and then. And there are also organisations where you can volunteer as a dog walker.
I know that some, or all of these can feel totally daunting some days, I know I couldn’t ask my neighbour to walk his dog for example, and its ok to feel that way. Maybe one or two things on the list is possible for you. Maybe a few more on a good day, or with company.
The important thing is to keep trying and not to give up on the things we want to do.
Find out what I am doing on other social medial: